THURSDAY MOVIE CONNECTION. Every Thursday in 2012, I am connecting movies through actors.

March is all MUSICALS!

In honor of Alfred Hitchcock's death on April 29, 1980, April is dedicated to Hitch, and all my favorites.

Saturday 24 March 2012

Bye Bye Birdie, 1963


  1. Director: George Sydney

Choreography: Onna White

Stars: Ann-Margaret, Dick Van Dyke, Janet Leigh, Paul Lynde





Songwriter Albert Peterson (Van Dyke) and his fiancee Rosie (Leigh) must figure out a way to get famous teen sensation singer Conrad Birdie to sing a song written by Albert before he leaves for the Army. This will finally make Albert a success when his song becomes famous as the last song Conrad Birdie sang before he go drafted.

Rosie decides to choose a member of the Conrad Birdie fan club and give her the opportunity to kiss Conrad Birdie goodbye after his last performance. Kim McAfee (Ann-Margaret) is the lucky fan chosen, and everybody travels to her hometown for the big performance.

I can't believe it took me until this year to finally see this musical. I LOVE IT! For one thing, there's a "Rosie" in it, which is awesome! And also, everything else about it is just delightful. Ridiculous- yes. But very enjoyable.

And the outfits! I love the clothes, especially Janet Leigh's! I was inspired. I wish those dresses could come back in style.

1 comment:

  1. I used to watch this movie at sleepovers with my friend Sharon when I was about 8-9. I loved it but for some reason was convinced that my mom wouldn't want me to watch it so it was always mixed with a bit of guilt. Haven't seen it since then, so for 20 years (I'm so old!), I'll have to watch it again and see what was so "bad" about it! ; )

    ReplyDelete