THURSDAY MOVIE CONNECTION. Every Thursday in 2012, I am connecting movies through actors.

March is all MUSICALS!

In honor of Alfred Hitchcock's death on April 29, 1980, April is dedicated to Hitch, and all my favorites.

Saturday 10 March 2012

An American in Paris, 1951







Director: Vincente Minelli

Choreographer: Gene Kelly

Stars: Gene Kelly, Leslie Caron, Oscar Levant















Good stuff. This is one of those musicals that I put in and half-watch. I know my favorite parts and musical sequences and for the rest of it, I kinda--well, write movie reviews and think of other things. I love Gene, but this one does get boring, and I admit it. Especially during the 20 minute ballet at the end. I'm not kidding.

Still--Oh, to have danced with Gene!!

Jerry Mulligan (Kelly) is an ex-GI living in Paris, enjoying the beautiful city and painting it all in his own way. When a wealthy woman buys one of his paintings, he attends a party with her, where he catches sight of Lise (Caron), and falls for her. But wooing her isn't as easy as he had hoped, especially after he finds out she is engaged.

FACT: Leslie Caron was actually discovered by Gene Kelly, and it was for this role.

No comments:

Post a Comment