THURSDAY MOVIE CONNECTION. Every Thursday in 2012, I am connecting movies through actors.

March is all MUSICALS!

In honor of Alfred Hitchcock's death on April 29, 1980, April is dedicated to Hitch, and all my favorites.

Tuesday 27 March 2012

The Sound of Music, 1965


Director: Robert Wise

Choreographer: Marc Breaux

Stars: Julie Andrews, Christopher Plummer, Charmian



Novice nun Maria (Andrews) is sent to the home of retired Navy Captain Von Trapp (Plummer) to be the governess of his seven children. When his wife died many years ago, the Captain stopped singing and didn't let his children sing either, because it only reminded him of her. But Maria can't help but sing, and she soon brings healing to this family with "the sound of music".

Wow, could I have possibly been cheesier? But anyway, there's more to the story: the Captain has to deal with growing feelings for Maria, as his fiance comes to visit; as well as being forced to join the navy again in the coming war. As a kid I didn't get what was going on, and why the story ends with the family crossing the mountains. But of course now I get it- he was escaping from the Germans/crazy Austrians. It's not exactly as happy as you think it is when you're a kid. But at least they all lived.

My favorite musical. Ever. I think. I know, I say that about every single one of them, pretty much. But this is it!

No comments:

Post a Comment