THURSDAY MOVIE CONNECTION. Every Thursday in 2012, I am connecting movies through actors.

March is all MUSICALS!

In honor of Alfred Hitchcock's death on April 29, 1980, April is dedicated to Hitch, and all my favorites.

Tuesday 20 September 2011

Texas Lady, 1955


Director: Tim Whelan
Stars: Claudette Colbert, Barry Sullivan









I don't like to give negative reviews, but I just don't want people to waste their time. This wasn't awful ( I mean, it was no where near Deathproof-- I wish I could erase that from my memory and get that 2 hours back!), but it was just pointless.

A woman (Colbert) wins a lot of money playing poker, and the guy she played was a card shark (Sullivan) who had won thousands from her father, who then killed himself. Her father, I mean. So, she figures it's justified that he practically killed her dad, and she killed his reputation at being the best at cards.

Major SPOILER: So she moves to Texas where her father had a newspaper, and she starts to run it, and the town is being controlled by two big shots who own all the land. And there's a lone cowboy/idiot who randomly kills whoever he wants and gets away with it, and she dances with and kisses him. Then the card shark comes looking for her (the woman who destroyed his reputation), because he apparently likes her, so lone cowboy decides the card shark must die, and they have a little showdown, but nobody dies. (Totally lame.) Then the cowboy gets killed by a widow of one of the guys he recently murdered. And it's about time someone just shot him--- where was the sheriff???????

Then, and this could be wrong because I was NOT giving this dumb western my full attention, I am pretty sure in the end, the two big shots who wanted to run the town just decided to leave because the people had turned against them. And the Texas Lady (Colbert) told them they were ridiculous.
I would call this a very "scattered" Western. It felt way too busy. Too many little stories and anti-climaxes. Is that a word?

No comments:

Post a Comment