THURSDAY MOVIE CONNECTION. Every Thursday in 2012, I am connecting movies through actors.

March is all MUSICALS!

In honor of Alfred Hitchcock's death on April 29, 1980, April is dedicated to Hitch, and all my favorites.

Friday 22 July 2011

Father of the Bride, 1950




Director: Vincente Minnelli
Stars: Spencer Tracy, Elizabeth Taylor, Joan Bennett, Don Taylor








I grew up watching Father of the Bride- the 1991 version. I didn't know until probably a year ago that there was an older version, the original. If you've seen either of them, they are very similar. Extremely similar! But I did enjoy the remake better. Steve Martin is funnier than Tracy, and Martin Short is brilliant! The music is modern and more enjoyable, and I always cry no matter what, because the story is just lovely.

The story: Kay Banks (Taylor) surprises her parents Stanley (Tracy) and Ellie (Bennett) with news of her engagement to Buckley (Taylor). The journey from engagement to wedding day is the story, with the focus being on Stanley, the "father of the bride", as he deals with paying for the wedding, and more importantly, losing his only daughter to her husband.

I did like the remake better, but it was totally entertaining and enjoyable! 5 stars in my book

(5 stars for the great movies that are worth it---6 stars for the ones you must own and watch over and over again!)

NOTE: just so you know, Elizabeth Taylor and Don Taylor (who play the happy couple) just happen to have the same last name. They weren't married in real life!

No comments:

Post a Comment