THURSDAY MOVIE CONNECTION. Every Thursday in 2012, I am connecting movies through actors.

March is all MUSICALS!

In honor of Alfred Hitchcock's death on April 29, 1980, April is dedicated to Hitch, and all my favorites.

Saturday 10 December 2011

Since You Went Away, 1944




Director: John Cromwell
Stars: Claudette Colbert, Joseph Cotten, Jennifer Jones, Shirley Temple





(This is a re-post from June 9, 2011. It's definitely a Christmas movie, so it has to go here as well!)

Anne Hilton (Colbert) tries to hold down the fort at home when her husband Tim goes off to war. She and her daughters try to continue with life as normal. Jane (Jones) finishes high school, becomes a nurse's aide for the army hospital in town, and falls in love with a soldier. Bridget (a teenage Shirley Temple) helps her mother at home and befriends the retired Colonel the family takes in as a boarder for the extra money. Anne and Tim's dear friend Tony (Cotten) comes to visit a couple times, cheering the family in this uncertain time; especially when a telegram comes informing the family that Tim is missing in action.

I really like old movies about World War II, the ones that focus on the home front and the wife and kids. When those telegrams come, I find myself about to cry, unsure what they will say! I get really emotional during war movies.

I loved this one!

Note: I really did love it, but Hitch almost ruined it for me! Two of the main guys, who are GREAT guys in this film, were the evil, crazy bad guys in 2 of Hitch's movies! Good thing they can act, so I soon forgot that I thought they were evil and about to strangle someone. Joseph Cotten was the murderer in Shadow of a Doubt, and Robert Walker was the insane Bruno in Strangers on a Train. And they were very convincing in those roles! But it was nice to see them in something else. Well done, boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment