THURSDAY MOVIE CONNECTION. Every Thursday in 2012, I am connecting movies through actors.

March is all MUSICALS!

In honor of Alfred Hitchcock's death on April 29, 1980, April is dedicated to Hitch, and all my favorites.

Monday 6 June 2011

The Philadelphia Story, 1940


Director: George Cukor
Stars: Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, James Stewart









Tracey Lord (Hepburn), the former wife of C.K. Dexter Haven (Grant), is getting married again. But the editor of a tabloid magazine has some dirt on her father, and to protect her high society socialite family from embarrassment and scandal, she very reluctantly agrees to have reporter Mike (James Stewart) and a photographer stay at her home and do a story on her wedding. Dexter shows up, too, to make things interesting, and Mike starts to make her fiance George uncomfortable with his attentions towards her.

This is one of my favorites of all time! Just look at those leads! Cary Grant, Katherine, and Jimmy! They are absolutely wonderful!

FACT: When I write these "reviews", I utilize Imdb (Internet Movie Data Base) and Wikipedia to make things a little more interesting, and also to make sure I get the right information on the director. Usually I know who the stars are, but the director (unless he's Hitch) is often a forgotten name. All that to say, when I looked up George Cukor, the name sounded familiar. And no wonder! First, he also directed "Pat and Mike", which I just reviewed a couple weeks ago; and second, he was the director of "My Fair Lady"!

2 comments:

  1. I was just looking at this at the library yesterday... now I'll definitely have to get it! Also, have you ever seen Charade? I didn't love it, but it's one of Lacy's favourite movies and I think you would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I love Charade! I think it's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete