THURSDAY MOVIE CONNECTION. Every Thursday in 2012, I am connecting movies through actors.

March is all MUSICALS!

In honor of Alfred Hitchcock's death on April 29, 1980, April is dedicated to Hitch, and all my favorites.

Saturday 25 June 2011

Move Over, Darling, 1963


Director: Michael Gordon
Stars: Doris Day, James Garner, Polly Bergman










This is a remake of the 1940 comedy My Favorite Wife, which starred Cary Grant. So, naturally, I've seen it. I knew this was a remake, but for some reason, I thought it would be a bit different. Remakes aren't usually exactly like their predecessors, are they? (Was that the right word?) Well, this one was. Exactly like My Favorite Wife, I mean.

Ellen Arden (Day) was marooned on an island for 5 years, and presumed dead by her husband Nick (Garner). Nick falls in love again with Bianca (Bergman), and wanting to get married, has a judge declare Ellen legally dead, and then 2 minutes later, has the same judge marry he and his new wife. What Nick doesn't know, though, is that Ellen has been rescued from her island the very day he had her declared dead. Ellen arrives at home, only to find her mother-in-law watching her two young daughters while her husband has left on his honeymoon. Her mother-in-law tells her to go surprise her husband and his new wife.

This is basically a screwball comedy. I didn't like the story too much though, since I hate stories where the mother or the father isn't there for the kids' childhoods, or something like that. I tend to take those more seriously, and this just isn't funny to me. Plus, I've never liked screwball comedies, anyway.

All in all, it was ok. Watch it for the dreaminess of James Garner! I need to watch more of his old ones.

1 comment:

  1. Just watched My Favourite Wife! It was ok... funny in parts, not brilliant. Would be interesting to see this now and compare them both like you!

    ReplyDelete