THURSDAY MOVIE CONNECTION. Every Thursday in 2012, I am connecting movies through actors.

March is all MUSICALS!

In honor of Alfred Hitchcock's death on April 29, 1980, April is dedicated to Hitch, and all my favorites.

Friday 10 June 2011

Witness to Murder, 1954


Director: Roy Rowland
Stars: Barbara Stanwyck, George Sanders, Gary Merrill






I recorded this one on TCM (my favorite channel- no surprise there!) and didn't know what to expect, but I enjoyed it!

The excitement starts off right away in the first minute! Cheryl (Stanwyck) wakes up in the middle of the night to close her bedroom window. When she gets to the window, she witness the strangling of a woman across the street in a lighted apartment. Horrified, she calls the police, who come at once to her building. The murderer, Albert Richter (Sanders), sees them arrive and quickly hides the body. When they arrive, he is perfectly bewildered! Why would anyone think he had murdered a young woman!? How ridiculous.

Police Lieutenant Larry Matthews (Merrill) takes an interest in Cheryl, puzzled that she seems so obsessed with the fact that she witnessed a murder, when no evidence of any murder could be found. But when a woman's body is found in a park, Cheryl is sure that she was the victim of the crime. Richter insists that Cheryl is insane, however, and everyone is more inclined to believe him than Cheryl....

I like Barbara Stanwyck in the few movies I've seen her in. The first film I saw her in was Christmas in Connecticut. Love that one! I can't wait until Christmas time!

No comments:

Post a Comment