THURSDAY MOVIE CONNECTION. Every Thursday in 2012, I am connecting movies through actors.

March is all MUSICALS!

In honor of Alfred Hitchcock's death on April 29, 1980, April is dedicated to Hitch, and all my favorites.

Wednesday 8 June 2011

Sweet Land, 2005


Director: Ali Selim
Stars: Elizabeth Reaser, Tim Guinee, Alan Cumming, Alex Kingston










Inge (Reaser) arrives in a small Minnesota farming community to marry Olaf (Guinee), but without her immigration papers, plus the fact that she is German and the time is right after World War I, both the minister and the county clerk refuse to marry them. At first Inge stays with Olaf's good friends Frandsen (Cumming) and his wife Brownie (Kingston), but soon, sleeping in the same quarters with their nine children becomes insufferable. She ends up living at Olaf's house with Olaf, though he sleeps in the barn since they are not married. Assuming scandal, the minister preaches a sermon against them, and Olaf's friendship with Frandsen suffers, as well.

I don't want to write anything more, because I don't want to give anything away or make it sound stupid, which I probably do sometimes. I absolutely loved it. It's a quiet, slow movie, very sweet and emotional. There's lovely music, when there is music, but there isn't a lot of it. Which makes it more realistic to me.

I absolutely despise Alan Cumming's accent, but it's very accurate; so good job, dude!

Rebekah, I really, really think you'd like this one!

1 comment:

  1. It does sound good! I'm storing up a list of your recommendations this one sounds like it would be perfect for cozying up to on a cold winter's day with a cuppa and a fire!

    ReplyDelete