THURSDAY MOVIE CONNECTION. Every Thursday in 2012, I am connecting movies through actors.

March is all MUSICALS!

In honor of Alfred Hitchcock's death on April 29, 1980, April is dedicated to Hitch, and all my favorites.

Saturday 1 October 2011

Abduction, 2011


Director: John Shingleton
Stars: Taylor Lautner, Lily Collins, Alfred Molina, Sigourney Weaver









I know what you're thinking, and it wasn't that bad! Taylor Lautner, of Twilight fame, in a thriller, about being abducted. It felt like part thriller, part teen movie. And to be honest, that's what it was.

Nathan (Lautner) is assigned a project with a girl in school, Karen (Collins)- who also happens to live across the street and apparently they have a history, but I'm not 100% sure what it was. They need to do a research paper about missing persons. On the internet they find a website dedicated to missing children, and one of the photos grabs Nathan's attention--- because it's HIM!!!

They contact the website, but decide not to give the website their address (good idea, kids! Except they tracked you anyway!), and then just as Nathan confronts his mom ("No, I'm not really your mom, Nathan") and is about to get some truth out of her, 2 guys come in and kill his "parents" and blow up his house. Suddenly he and Karen are on the run.

I really like thrillers. Why is that? I like it when thrillers have a romantic edge to them, like the guy is protecting the girl and all that. It makes thrillers softer and sweet. Not that this was an amazing movie; it was silly. If the kids had been out of high school, I would have liked it more, I think. But they were kids!! He was just a kid, and he killed a guy! (It was totally self-defense, and I would have been trying to kill the guy too, but still! He was a kid!)

NOTE:In my opinion, the very BEST part of the entire film was in the beginning. Nathan goes to a wild high school party and gets completely hammered. His dad (Jason Isaacs- very handsome!) picks him up and the next thing they show is he and his dad fighting in the backyard. Nathan is whining about having to fight while he's hungover and his dad is telling him that's life, and you can't ever get so drunk that you can't defend himself. Obviously, they do this fighting, or training a lot, because they have gloves and everything, and they're good at it. Eventually, Nathan really hits him hard, and his dad gets up and then grins and says, "That was great- now we're getting somewhere." And they continue to fight. I thought it was a nice picture of a dad training his son.

I'm sure I'd feel differently if I were his mom. She eventually puts a stop to the fighting/training.

No comments:

Post a Comment