THURSDAY MOVIE CONNECTION. Every Thursday in 2012, I am connecting movies through actors.

March is all MUSICALS!

In honor of Alfred Hitchcock's death on April 29, 1980, April is dedicated to Hitch, and all my favorites.

Monday 3 October 2011

Thor, 2011





Director: Kenneth Branagh
Stars: Chris Hemsworth, Anthony Hopkins, Natalie Portman







I am not into comic books, and really never have been. But after Iron Man, I've watched these movies about super heroes and have really enjoyed them. I didn't like Spiderman, though, because his life is just plain sad. And the only Superman I will ever love is Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, the show from the early 90's starring Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher. I own all 4 seasons and absolutely love it. I know some of the episodes by heart. But the Superman movies (from any decade) are completely lame and depressing. And don't even get me started on Smallville.

Thor (Hemsworth) is the arrogant prince of Asgard (another planet and another realm). His father Odin (Hopkins), tries to teach him to be a good leader and have wisdom, but Thor picks a fight with their sworn enemies (FREAKY ice creatures), and starts an actual war. Odin banishes him to Earth, along with his powerful, magical hammer, which made its appearance at the end of Iron Man 2. (I love how Hollywood is bringing together at least 3 different stories of superheroes -Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor- to be The Avengers together! How cool is that! I'm pretty excited for that movie.)

So Thor starts hanging out with some physicists who saw him fall to earth (Natalie Portman among them), and eventually, by all the things that happen, they're convinced he really is from another planet. A weird creature shows up, sent by Thor's crazy younger brother, to kill Thor. And Thor has to defeat him with his magic hammer.

It's silly like a superhero movie, but also cute, and though there isn't mush to the romance, it's still there. I definitely recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment