THURSDAY MOVIE CONNECTION. Every Thursday in 2012, I am connecting movies through actors.

March is all MUSICALS!

In honor of Alfred Hitchcock's death on April 29, 1980, April is dedicated to Hitch, and all my favorites.

Wednesday 4 May 2011

Murder She Wrote, tv series 1984-1996


Creator: Peter S. Fischer
Stars: Angela Lansbury









Yes, I have seen each and every one of the 264 episodes, as a matter of fact. Best-selling mystery writer Jessica Fletcher (played by Angela Lansbury) travels around the world hanging out with friends, speakng at writer's conferences, attending concerts, vacationing in Hawaii or on a cruise, meeting spies, and visiting long-lost school-mates. And, naturally, encountering murder at every turn!

My sister would say "snooze fest", but I would have to disagree. I love how each episode is basically the same, but each one is different. With each murder, there are different people, different- sometimes exotic- places, and different circumstances. (Athough, in murder, it's either love or money, right?) My favorites are the episodes in Jessica's hometown of Cabot Cove, Maine. With a population of only 3,560, a surprisingly high amount of murders are committed there. I like the "small town murder" thing. Or the murders that take place on a cruise ship, in a remote snowed-in mountain lodge, an airplane crossing the Atlantic, or an isolated private island.

I have always liked murder mysteries, and one of the best things about this show is that it isn't frightening or gruesome at all. These days tv shows like Bones and NCIS are about the forensics, so they show the gross side of death and dead bodies. I really like those shows, but I like Murder She Wrote because it didn't go that route. It's about the moment when the killer gives himself away, the earring she left behind at the scene, the button from his jacket the victim ripped off in the struggle......

Or did the victim really rip it off? Is Jessica just bluffing?

2 comments:

  1. I've been waiting for a Murder She Wrote post!

    Also, have you ever seen Three Coins in the Fountain? I only saw the first half hour or so this afternoon and then I had to leave for class but it was looking good! It inspired the best movie marathon idea I've ever had:

    A marathon of movies set (at least in part) in Italy! There could be classics like Roman Holiday and Three Coins in the Fountain. And there could be cheesy rom coms like When in Rome and Letters to Juliet. Wouldn't that be so great?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! That would be awesome! I have added Three Coins to my queue on Netflix. It looks cool! And it has the mom from Swiss Family Robinson Dorothy McGuire), and I've never seen her in anything else, so that should be interesting.

    I LOVE ROMAN HOLIDAY!
    Letters to Juliet was so cheesy, but so wonderful! I need to watch and review that one!

    I should do themes like that- marathons based on a theme- they're fun!!

    ReplyDelete