THURSDAY MOVIE CONNECTION. Every Thursday in 2012, I am connecting movies through actors.

March is all MUSICALS!

In honor of Alfred Hitchcock's death on April 29, 1980, April is dedicated to Hitch, and all my favorites.

Wednesday 18 May 2011

The Pleasure of His Company, 1961


Director:George Seaton
Stars: Fred Astaire, Debbie Reynolds







Okay, just so we're clear, this isn't actually a musical! I know, it has Fred, and Debbie, but they only dance once or twice at a party. This is a drama/comedy. A dramedy.

Fred plays the very absent father of Debbie. He has been around the world, seeing the sights, living the life of pleasure. She has been home in San Fransisco, missing him, wondering what he is like, and also- falling in love with a man whose life is the opposite of her father's: a rancher who works hard or a living.

Then her father comes home for her upcoming wedding and turns everyone's life upside down. It is a bit emotional in the beginning, when he comes homes for the first time in 15 years, and father and daughter don't know each other at all. But I don't think the film dwells too much on it. It's an ok film with a cute ending. It felt like a rainy day film to me. Calm, generally happy, good ending.

I need to review some more Fred Astaire films soon!

FACT: In the party scene, there's a bunch of women who see Fred and Debbie dancing and want to dance with Fred, naturally! One of them is the woman who plays (the voice of) the evil step-mother in Disney's Cinderella, and Maleficent in Sleeping Beauty! I knew it the moment I heard her speak, and I just checked it- Eleanor Audley. I wouldn't want to be known for my evil voice, but oh, well!

No comments:

Post a Comment