THURSDAY MOVIE CONNECTION. Every Thursday in 2012, I am connecting movies through actors.

March is all MUSICALS!

In honor of Alfred Hitchcock's death on April 29, 1980, April is dedicated to Hitch, and all my favorites.

Friday 6 May 2011

Murder by Death, 1976


Director: Robert Moore
Stars: Peter Falk, Maggie Smith, Alec Guiness, Peter Sellers










The word "stupid" certainly comes to mind. But, as it is a spoof, I believe it is supposed to be stupid! (And I guess I am into murder mysteries lately! I was watching a bit too much of Quantum Leap for a while, so this is me getting back to my other favorite.)

The owner of a huge country mansion (scary-looking house) invites 5 famous detectives (and each with a guest) to his home for "dinner and a murder". Each of the guests is a spoof of a famous fictional detective. Agatha Christie's detectives Poirot ("Perrier") and Miss Marple ("Miss Marbles") are represented; Dashiell Hammett's Sam Spade ("Sam Diamond") and Nick and Nora Charles ("Dick and Dora Charleston"); and Charlie Chan ("Inspector Wang"), created by Earl Derr Biggers.

The host declares there will be a murder at midnight and whoever solves it will have the distinction of being the greatest detective in the world and will receive $1 million. They all stumble through the evening trying to solve the murder, until the end when each detective comes up with his or her own insane theory of the crime and the murderer behind it.

It has some truly hilarious lines, and I think anyone who loves a good mystery would love this one, just for the fun of it. Watch out for Maggie Smith (I've never seen anything with her when she was so much younger!) --she has some wonderful lines! But, like I said, it IS kind of dumb. Looking for a better murder mystery which also takes place in a creepy house? Try one of my favorites- Clue!

1 comment:

  1. As soon as I read "The owner of a huge country mansion (scary-looking house) invites" I was waiting for you to mention Clue! : )

    ReplyDelete