THURSDAY MOVIE CONNECTION. Every Thursday in 2012, I am connecting movies through actors.

March is all MUSICALS!

In honor of Alfred Hitchcock's death on April 29, 1980, April is dedicated to Hitch, and all my favorites.

Wednesday 25 May 2011

An Affair to Remember, 1957


Director: Leo McCarey
Stars: Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr










I love Cary Grant!

Nickie (Grant) and Terry (Kerr) meet on an ocean-liner, headed for New York. Both are engaged to other people, and both are traveling alone. Sounds like love to me!

They fall in love, and begin their "affair" (I think of affair more as an "extra-marital" thing, and marriage isn't involved here. Not that that makes it ok. I guess that conversation could go on forever. They were both cheating, anyway!) At the end of the voyage they agree that in 6 months, if nothing has changed, to meet on the top on the Empire State Building. But something prevents one of them from making it! Will it prevent them from spending the rest of their lives together? (That question is to get you to watch it, because you're in such suspense!)

The part where they go off and meet Nickie's Grandmother is my favorite! I don't know why I love it so much, but I would watch the film just for this part!

FACT: This was a remake of McCarey's 1939 film Love Affair

No comments:

Post a Comment