THURSDAY MOVIE CONNECTION. Every Thursday in 2012, I am connecting movies through actors.

March is all MUSICALS!

In honor of Alfred Hitchcock's death on April 29, 1980, April is dedicated to Hitch, and all my favorites.

Monday 16 May 2011

Desk Set, 1957


Director: Walter Lang
Stars: Spencer Tracy, Katherine Hepburn









Well, after I watched "Pat and Mike", I couldn't not watch this one! Especially since it's a "watch instantly" on Netflix! Now, how could I resist that?

Bunny Watson (Hepburn) works in the Reference department of a big television network. So, basically, she and 3 other women work in a library-type office, and they answer any old random question that comes their way; about baseball, poetry, the names of Santa's reindeer, passages in Scripture, etc. (Today, we would go to Google for this information. Back then, they apparently had reference women! Sounds like an awesome job to me!)

But wait, they might not have jobs for very long! Because Richard Sumner (Tracy) comes along to examine their department, and Sumner was one of the creators of the "electronic brain" (that would be a computer) which took over several jobs in the Payroll department. Needless to say, Bunny and the girls are worried, but they put up with him.

And, of course, the film goes into Bunny's romantic life, which consists of a guy who can't seem to propose after 7 years, and now, suddenly, of Mr.Sumner, as well!! I love the end scene. The way he proposes is too sweet! (I don't think that really ruined anything!)

I've only seen a few Tracy-Hepburn films, but this one is my favorite. Well worth the hour and a half! An absolute delight!

No comments:

Post a Comment